Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Inception: Review

Inception was a very good movie. No, it was AMAZING - magnificently and deliciously imaginative. I, for one, have never seen a movie about dreams before. Although that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there, I still will go as far as to say that the plot was very original, in the fact that it dealed with the whole basis of original ideas in the first place. I mean, that is exactly what Inception is. Implanting an idea successfully into someone's mind, making the person believe that it was their idea in the first place without any inspiration. The details are still a little fuzzy.

Leonardo DiCaprio, in my opinion, did an excellent job in this movie. If not better, than as good as Shutter Island. He does the whole 'my-wife-is dead- and- I'm-still-grieving' thing very well. I loved this movie not simply just for the creativity, but for the music, plot, characters, and all that jazz. My favorite types of stories is when the main character is keeping a secret from everyone else, and someone is or already has figured it out. The angst - that's just gold.

What made this movie better for me? The surprises of seeing familiar actors. Like Ellen Page, Micheal Cane, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Cillian Murphy. (When those actors are rolled into one, what else to expect but AWESOME?) The fact that I had never seen a trailer for the movie might have helped, as trailers usually give away good parts of a movie and kind of take away the mystery of it all. (This point is true, in the fact that after I saw the movie I looked up some trailers for it, and Danny was right: They're very misleading.) I only knew that the movie involved dreams and it had Leo DiCaprio in it. Plus everyone was saying that it was the best movie ever and my own brother thought it was amazing.

That's another thing - what I heard from other people. So, before seeing the movie yesterday, I lowered my expectations a lot. I told myself that it was going to be really crappy while the trailers were going through, and people were exaggerating to the limit. Low and behold, after watching the movie that was 2 HOURS and 35 minutes, if felt like no time had gone by at all. It felt much shorter. The movie had been excellent, made me think, and it took me the rest of the day to absorb it fully.

Now, I want to see it again. I want to buy a ticket with my own money, and see Inception again by my self. I've never gone to the movie theater by myself before, and it would be an interesting experience. Sit wherever. Never have to turn my head every now and then to see how the other person is reacting. I'll just sit down, move if I want to move, and relax. But I would also not mind to see the movie again with Heidi (she's GREAT to watch movies with) and/or with Danny.
Too bad that I missed the 4:15pm showing of the movie today. That's the only time I can see it - the other times are either too early, or too expensive. I can't see it tomorrow, because Moma, Kelly, Heidi, and I are going to go visit Katie and Amy in Madison for the day tomorrow, after which Heidi has to stay around and see her new dorm. So hopefully I'll be able to go on Friday, but we might have the unfortunate displeasure of Kyle coming over. If not, I'll go on Friday or Saturday.

I would love to see Inception again. I would recommend it to anyone who loves to think during a movie, and enjoys witty and angsty and cool and confusing and downright original. Especially all the people who love the concept of dreams, keep a dream journal, or just have nothing to do this summer or this weekend of right this minute, and want 2 hours and 35 minutes of awesomeness.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, Lilly! I also liked the movie, though I wish I had lowered my expectations a little more so it would have been even more amazing!

    ReplyDelete