Friday, October 9, 2009

Camp!!


Hey guys! I got back from 6th Grade Camp today! I slept over on Thursday and got back today. So cool!

I had 7 classes in all. There was Ecology, Photography, Fishing, Canoeing, GPSing, Wildlife, and Plants. I rocked at canoeing; the whole class had teams and we raced around a buoy and back to the shore. My friend and I won, with me in the front! Awesome.

I really liked Plants, though, because we got to smash leaves with hammers! It was awesome! We would lay the leaves under white cloth and then - SMASH! Hitting the hammer down, the chlorophyll in the leaves would burst out, leaving green and yellow and pink and purple and all the colors under the sun on the cloth, leaving awesome imprints on it! With color! You had to be there to see how sweet (not "sweet" as in "candy", but "sweet" as in "dude!") it was. I did hammer my fingers a bit, but no blood, no foul!

The best part was at night. When all the Day Campers left, all of the Night Campers (me and ma peeps) got to do awesome stuff. There was golf frisbee, wall climbing (the wall was huge!), and then I decided to do archery.

That's right, you heard me.
ARCHERY.
With REAL arrows and bows!
Not plastic!

I only got to try it once. Unfortunately, I wasn't the best (I sucked), but it was all in good fun.

An hour or so later we Night Campers sat around the giant fire pit with our SUPER AWESOME glow necklaces. Eli, our camp counselor, was really funny. He told lame jokes and stories. We then sang songs and acted out short skits. You just HAD to be there!

The skits were funny; like this one where there was this girl who kept on complementing all these other kids on their various articles of clothing. And it would always go like this:

"Darlllllling, where did you get those shoes?"
"Thanks, I got them from J.C. Penny!"

They would always say they got their thing from J.C. Penny. And at the end this kid came up to the girl and was said (seeming to be covering himself up):

"Can I have my clothes back?"
"Pft. Well, like, who are you?"
"My name's J.C. Penny."

OH MY GOSH I laughed so hard! That was my favorite of all the skits. You just had to be there.

The bunks we were assigned to annoyed me. All of my friends were in the same cabin together, and I had to be in one that didn't have any friends in it. Eh, I take that back. There was Marie, I guess. But other than that nobody I really liked. Our cabin's number was Fox 6. Isn't that funny? Fox 6? As in, the news channel? It was hilarious at the time.

In the morning we had to pack up. After that was finished with, we had breakfast and then the teachers gathered us up. They told us to basically shut up about what we did last night (more politely, though), and hide our glow sticks. They didn't want us to rub it in or show off how much fun we had.

But, of course, we couldn't help singing a bit (we sang and chanted like happy little campers) and taught all the Day Campers our songs. We were too happy to help bursting into to song; and trust me, that feeling's contagious.

After our next two classes and lunch all us campers met into some big empty lunchroom type area. The teachers handed out these half finished letters that we would send to our future 8th grade selves. You had to finish a sentence, basically. The letter was SO corny. Not even the good type of corny. 'How neat those classes were!' *makes gagging sounds* I tried to awesome the letter up, so future me would have something to look forward to.

The teachers and the campers then played a sort of Jeopardy type game. Yellow group *waves*, that's me, lost by -3 points. Other groups got worse, but it was fun nonetheless.

We then went home. Surprisingly, camp was great! And now I'm home ^^

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot more fun than I had at 6th grade camp (cause I didn't stay the night). Glad you had fun!

    HAHA "sweet as in dude" LOL where's my car?

    Good thing we did that canoeing in Madison this summer! Seems like you learned a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hilarious that instead of teaching how to use a compass (like with my group), they taught you how to use a GPS. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome! I didn't get the option of staying overnight when I was in 6th grade. Which brings me to a question: How did they decide who stays over and who doesn't?

    Also, I want to take a little credit for you winning the canoe race and say it's because us sisters went canoeing in Madison this summer... hehe :)

    THANKS FOR POSTING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Haha, I just saw Amy's comment about Madison canoeing after I commented)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I learned canoeing from you guys! ^.^b

    And to answer your question, Katie, all the campers could've stayed overnight, it's just that some didn't want to because it cost too much money.

    ReplyDelete