Friday, June 26, 2009

What have I learned in summer school this week?

So I have finished my first week of summer school. Now, what did I learn in orchestra this first week?
Well, I learned how to adjust a cello to my height. I know how to hold a bow properly, and I don't really get why people say it takes years to practice that. I'm comfortable with the way I hold it, so that must mean I'm doing something wrong.
On Wednesday I learned the strings on a cello are ADGC. My cello buddy and I were making up little things to stand for them so we didn't forget. One of the was Apricots Dance Great Cellos, and another Apples Don't Get Cancer. The next day we learned the notes on the D string. If you put four fingers on the D string it's G, if you put three fingers it's F, if you put one finger it's E, and no fingers is just D. And now, this morning I learned the notes on string A. With four fingers it's D, three fingers C, and one finger is...um...B! Right, B. And no fingers at all is just A. I think that when you hold down a string and play by yourself it makes a horrible screeching sound, or sometimes no sound at all. But when you play with the whole orchestra it sounds very pretty.
I am proud to say that I can play Mary had a Little Lamb or 'Rolling Along' on the cello and other little songs. I don't have them memorized, but I can play with the book.

Cool Rhymes With The Word 'Cello':
A cello can't bellow. Me and my fellow play the cello. If you play the cello you gotta be mellow. I wore yellow when I played the cello. Don't get any jello on that cello! Always say hello when you play the cello!
Hee hee. Those are fun!

2 comments: